Just like it is bad to store tomatoes in the refrigerator, you dont want them outdoors in the cold for too long. If winter is approaching, and you want to get the last of your tomatoes ripened and harvested, you may want to consider simply ripening them indoors rather than covering the plants. It’s easy:
- Harvest your tomatoes, clean & dry them off.
- Arrange them on cookie sheets, baking sheets, or in colanders for ripening.
- Store them at around 55-60 deg F.
- Be sure to check on them and rotates the tomatoes so they don’t develop soft spots (don’t worry too much if they do, just use them in some pasta!).
- Let them ripen (can take anywhere from a few days, to a few weeks).
Other tricks include:
- Placing them in a dry, clean drawer.
- Ripening them in paper bags.