Extend the life of your beautifully fresh herbs! The freezer can be a commonly overlooked method of preserving items from your garden. After working so hard growing and maintaining their health, there is nothing more disheartening than herbs wilting before you get the chance to use them. A trick that we have found most useful in preservation is to freeze your herbs in Olive-Oil! The oil helps prevent browning and freezer burn. The combination of herbs and oil is also useful for recipes that call for both ingredients! For recipes such as soups and roasts simply pop one out of the freezer and into your pan. The instructions for preserving herbs in oil are listed below!
8 Steps for Freezing Herbs in Oil:
1. Choose firm, fresh herbs
2. If you wish, you can chop them fine or leave them in larger sprigs and leaves.
3. Pack the wells of ice cube trays about 2/3 full of herbs.
4. Don’t be afraid to mix up the herbs!
5. Pour extra-virgin olive oil or melted, unsalted butter over the herbs.
6. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
7. Remove the frozen cubes and store in freezer containers or small bags.
8. Don’t forget to label each container or bag with the type of herb and oil inside!